We are in week three of Financial Peace University with famed Dave Ramsey leading the way through the murky waters of money management.
Bryan and I have signed on to challenge ourselves for the next 10 weeks in the effort to pay off debt, save money, and LEARN about money. Although we are not drowning in debt, we have acquired debt just as every American has- its the norm right? WRONG! We should not be living above our means and paying for things that we simply do not have money for. Dave Ramsey has seven "simple" steps to paying off debt, saving money, and becoming independently wealthy.
Step #1: Save $1000 as an emergency fund
Step #2: Pay off all debt except house, utilizing debt snowball
Step #3: Save 3-6 months worth of expenses
Step #4: Invest 15% household income into Roth IRAs and pretax retirement funds
Step #5: Save for college
Step #6: Pay off house early
Step #7: Build wealth and give
I am proud to say that we are at step #2. Step one was easy for us; step two is one that can take awhile to get rollin'.
I am going to put it all out there- including our house in Washington, we have $265,000 of debt. In 10 weeks, I will post an update, and in 3 months, 6 months and 1 year.
This week was very challenging for me, especially as it drew closer towards the end of the month. I think i am having impulse shopping withdrawal. I frequently find myself "window" shopping online, where I place a bunch of items i want in my cart, just to close the window. It makes me feel both frustrated and victorious. I am frustrated that I have a budget and cannot just simply buy my items and ride the endorphin wave of instant gratification; on the other hand I feel victorious that i resisted the urge, and know that I can wait a few more days, where I can either budget or save for my beloved "item."
Bryan and I got motivated for this process, NOT because we are drowning in debt, but because we want to learn how to make smart financial decisions, and we want to learn about what our money can do for US. Join us and please support and encourage us as we change the way we live and the way we will live.
The water is looking much clearer now...

No comments:
Post a Comment